Friday, May 24, 2013

Five for Friday: May 24, 2013

Today is the first Friday of summer break.  I'm linking up again with Doodle Bugs Teaching's Five for Friday.
Sorry, this week's post is very light on school related thoughts.  We had a half day on Monday.  I spent the rest of that day (late into the evening) and Tuesday cleaning my room.  I found this pic on pinterest that shows how I felt at the end of those days (especially as I worked under my computer tables).
please note, this poor kitty is not mine
Although I'm out of school, I still do have Five for Friday.  So let's get started.

Number 1
Time to clean and edit.  I am a fairly organized person.  I also have a ton, I mean a ton of teaching resources in my class (hard copies).  However, I have noticed over the past couple of years that I go to those shelves fewer and fewer times each week.  I am using 20% of my books 80% of the time.  More and more of my resources are stored on my computer or can be found online.  So I decided to open up some valuable real estate and bring some of those under used books home.  I cleared off half of a bookshelf.  I'm happy to be starting next year with some free surfaces.
next stop, the basement

Number 2
Last day of pre k.  My sweet daughter's last day of pre k was Wednesday.  I'm so thankful that my school was out of session and I was able to bring her and pick her up on her last two days of preschool.  I guess the countdown to kindergarten is officially on.  I'm trying not to think about it.

Number 3
Summer to-do lists.  Are there any of us not making them right now?  Every summer I plan all sorts of projects.  I get to some and others are left undone.  I usually feel a bit guilty for what is left undone.
Fast forward to sometime this fall, I ran across this quotation:
I'm going to keep this in mind, especially as my over ambitious summer plans take shape. 
I even had this quote stamped into a cool fortune cookie necklace I found on etsy, just as a little reminder.  

Number 4
The search for aviator sunglasses.  Over the past few weeks I have been trying to find a pair of aviator shades for this summer.  I ordered my first pair of Ray-Bans.  They were too big.  I ordered my second pair of Ray-Bans they were too small.  (Just kidding, they actually had these little rubber pieces that kept getting stuck in my hair and pulling it).  I ordered my third pair, which are Kate Spade and they are just right.  Thanks zappos for free shipping and free returns.  I think I'm finally set.

Number 5
Vacation.  Our little family is just about to leave for our vacation.  We are going to the Bahamas.  This spring has been unusually cold and rainy.  I am looking forward to some warm sunny weather.  I'm hoping to break in my new shades.
I'm sure I'll post a few pics on Instagram.  If you are interested you can find me @schoolisahappyplace.

Thanks so much for reading.  I'm off to pack.
Have a fabulous weekend.
Best.

15 comments:

  1. Oh wow, it is so exciting that you are off to the Bahamas! Have so much fun on the beach!
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go to the Bahamas! Such a beautiful place! I am following you on Instagram now. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a very productive week! How exciting your daughter is an official Kindergartener now! Have a blast in the Bahamas. Please take me with you!

    Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cat pic had me laughing SO hard, even if it wasn't your cat lol! My cat only gets it on her whiskers. I'd freak if she had that much.

    Have fun in the Bahamas!

    Journey of a Substitute Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. My little guy graduated from pre-k today...where does the time go? Have fun on your vacation...we have 8 days left of school!
    Kheila
    Two Friends In First

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little girl is so cute! Happy summer! :)


    The Fashionista Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to start organizing my books as well. Enjoy your much deserved vacation!

    Jennifer
    Elementary School Garden

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you love the feeling of getting organized!!! Happy Summer; we still have 2 weeks to go.
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to have found your super cute blog & be your newest follower! Okay, so I'm in LOVE with that necklace and must go find it, AND I'm super jealous that you were able to clean out those books. I'm in the same situation, but I have the hardest time letting go!! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I look for your blog every Friday and enjoy reading your posts. I need to clean out my shelves too. I am sort of cluttered and very attached to everything. I have a scary future of hoarding if I'm not careful. Have a wonderful vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh! Heading to the Bahamas also...cruising on the Allure!
    Love the quote!
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doesn't it feel good to get organized!? :) Enjoy your vacation!!

    Sarah
    A Sunny Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you have a wonderful summer ahead! Enjoy your travels and adventures in organization! I will be on the organization adventure as well... Love the quote! Thanks so much for sharing.

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just recently discovered your blog and happy to be your newest follower! I have that same problem of using only 20% of the resources that I have. I desperately need to organize my classroom this summer! Enjoy your vacay in the Bahamas! How fun!

    Carrie
    Table Talk with C & C

    ReplyDelete