Sunday, August 11, 2013

Ten Apples Up On Top: A Math Mentor Text and a FREE Math Center

Wowie, wow wow!  What a week.  I know I don't have to tell you about the first week of school.  Throw in my daughter starting kindergarten and hosting her 6th birthday party (which included adding two bunnies to our family) and you have a recipe for a BUSY week.
But enough about that . . . it's time for Collaboration Cuties Mentor Text Link Up.  This week's topic is math.  I have an oldie but a goodie to share, Dr Seuss' Ten Apples Up on Top.  
This story follows a dog, lion, and tiger as they try to out do each other by balancing more and more apples on top of their heads.  Like most Seuss books, it is fast pace, fun, and includes loads of rhyming.
There are so many activities you can do with this book.  It's great to use if you are doing an apple unit with your class or if you are spending time with Dr. Seuss.
I made a ten frame and related equation math center inspired by the fun in this book.  Click on the picture below for a FREE copy of this center.


This activity is one from my September Smarties {10 Math Centers} available at Teachers Pay Teachers.  But, you can have this one for free :).
For more ideas of great math read alouds and texts, visit Collaboration Cuties.


Have a great week and thanks so much for stopping by.
Best.

1 comment:

  1. Very cute! I definitely know how the first week of school goes so I can't believe you had so much going on! I bet it is a relief to have it behind you! Thanks so much for taking the time to link up!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete