Sunday, June 29, 2014

Why I'm a Fan of Instagram

For a little over a year now I've had an Instagram account.  I didn't jump right in immediately.  I was afraid there would be too many things to figure out and I wasn't sure if I'd have time to learn to use it.  But, as the school year was wrapping up last year, I decided to give it a shot.



I started out slowly.  I added a picture or two a week.  I'm not on facebook, so the world of tagging and hashtags was foreign to me.  However, I trudged along and eventually starting figuring out the basics.
My first picture was of my dear, sweet dog Lilly.  Certainly not school related, but very near and dear to my heart.

first ig shot, my dog Lilly

Gradually I began following other igers and gaining some followers of my own.  (At the moment, almost all of the people I follow are teachers.)  
Eventually Instagram grew on me and here are some of the reasons why . . .


Instagram is a great way for teachers to share classroom happenings.
If you have a classroom (at school or at home) and you have something noteworthy going on, Instagram is a great platform to share.  Instagram is a fabulous place to get ideas for your own classroom or just to see what other teachers are working on with their students.
Plus, Instagram is a awesome place to post questions and get responses from other teachers, like "Can anyone recommend an app for leveling books?"  Answers are often quick and plentiful. 

telling time write the room


partner activity with /oo/


Cinco de Mayo craftivity



Instagram is a wonderful way for teachers to find deals.
Igers often post when they are having sales, deals, contests, or freebies.  Keep your eyes peeled for "flash freebies."  Sometimes teacher authors will, for a limited time, offer paid products for free.  Instagram is a timely way of making these offers.
Many bloggers will also alert followers to new or upcoming blog posts via Instagram.  

ig flash freebie for my April math centers


free center Valentine center packet found at School Is a Happy Place



Instagram is a fun platform for personal pics.
While I share some personal pics on School is a Happy Place, I do try to limit them and focus teaching ideas (although my daughter makes many appearances demonstrating my activities).  If you follow me or other ig teachers, you will often get glimpses into their daily lives and interests.  I love seeing what other teachers are up to, both in and out of the classroom.

Father's Day pics


our cat B.B.


family vacation


Instagram showcases real world style.
Of course, this totally may not be your thing, but I love looking at pics of outfits that real people are putting together.  I've always been in to clothes, shoes, and accessories.  Instagram allows me to share outfits I put together or special finds I come across.
I've found some new brands that I love through Instagram.  Igers often tag the brand or where the item came from.  So if you really like a piece, you should have no problem finding it for yourself.







If you have not tried out Instagram yet, give it a chance.  It is user friendly and a great way to build community with other teachers or people who share your same interests.  Your pictures will reflect you and the things you enjoy.  You may love to garden, read, or craft.  You may want workout motivation or love sharing pictures of favorite foods.  And if nothing else, your posts will be set of images that you will love to look back through.  
You can find me on Instagram, by searching the user name schoolisahappyplace.
Thanks so much for stopping by.

3 comments:

  1. I'm just getting into Instagram as well. I'll go look you up! :)
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspired me and this morning I created an instagram too! I've been thinking about it but kept putting it off. Thanks for reminding me to get it done. Stephanie from Principal Principles

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! Instagram has sounded like a little much for me but you have done a wonderful job showcasing it.I need to give it a try. Love the cat in the flip flops! Happy summer to Miss A!

    ReplyDelete